Run! ~ Anecdote (Non-fiction)

Image result for girl running scared

Ever since I was a young child, I adored the majestic way Snow White would draw in sweet birds as they sung their melody. My seven year old mind was mesmerized by how these birds would ever so gently rest on her finger as a smile spread across her face. I really did wish to be able to accomplish this one day. And that one day, while not being anywhere near Snow White’s, did appear. Not as a fairy tale, however. Far from it. 

Walking to school every morning was a routine for my sister and I when we were younger since our school was two streets down. Our pathway consisted of us having to pass through two apartment buildings and beside them were many pine trees.

Every summer afternoon when we would walk home, my ears would always grasp onto the sounds of birds chirping and flying in and out of these trees.

One day in particular, my sister and I discovered a family of crows that had found their home in these trees. We were crossing the apartment buildings, as we did everyday. Right then, a huge crow flew right over us as we dropped our heads down low. I glanced over at my sister with a frightened look and only one word spilled out of her mouth,

“RUN!”.

I spun around to see another crow flying toward us, lower this time and at that moment, my sister grabbed onto me from my backpack and yanked it as hard as she could. My feet dragged across the ground as my body spun and ran behind her.

Tears were rolling down my cheeks and I kept turning my head to see how far we had gotten from the crows. One of them made its way right on top of my head. Screaming, I threw my arms up and began waving then back and forth in hopes of getting rid of this nasty beast. The only sound I could hear was of my heart beating faster than it ever had before.

My mind was so worried about making it out alive because I didn’t believe I would at all.

I did make it out alive. In fact I cried in my mom’s arms for hours. We didn’t go to school the next day because there was no way to walk through that street without getting attacked by crows.

I watched through the window as other children also ran for their lives while those birds chased behind them. We later discovered that the family of crows had a newborn baby and that was the reason why the father chased children to protect his child.

The weekend passed and then came Monday morning. My sister and I had decided that if the crows flew behind us, we would run back home. So there we were, two young children on our way to school through this frightening street, looking over our shoulders constantly. We tiptoed the whole way until we reached the other side, away from the view of any crows.

And as I finally took a deep breath and exhaled in assurance, on top of the street lamp a crow sat glaring at us. My sister motioned to keep walking and not glance up.  When enough time had passed, I turned my head to see the crow still sitting there, however not looking our way.

I was shocked that it didn’t attack us, but more so relieved. 

That afternoon we peacefully crossed through the apartment buildings without getting chased by those birds. They flew past us but didn’t come near us. When I got home and looked out my window, I was astonished to see children running as crows chased them.

My young mind, at that moment, felt like Snow White. I truly believed with all my heart that I had control over these majestic creatures and that they obeyed and respected me.

This was my Snow White moment, one I will never be able to forget.

4 Thoughts.

1. Dear Maira,
    I truly loved how you described the birds and Snow White it was truly beautiful how it was done. while you were telling the story i could clearly paint a picture in my mind because your imagery was so vivid.
    For the future i would look over some of the wording because I felt that some of it could of been worded differently or use different vocabulary that could of been stronger.
    In conclusion I think your writing is beautiful and I cant wait to read more. This style is what i absolutely love!!!!

Sincerely,
    Felicity

• Dear Felicity,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my anecdote. I’m so glad that you enjoyed it and were able to give constructive feedback. While I was writing it, I did feel like some words were repetitive and that the vocabulary could have been stronger. I will try my hardest to work on this in future pieces. Thank you so much!
      Sincerely,
      Maira

2. Dear Maira,
    You’re story was quite interesting. I loved how you were able to relate and compare your real life story to one made up, known by the tale of Snow White. This comparison really enhanced your writing adding more depth and connection. It showed how you felt about certain situations, how you wanted a Snow White moment but, comparing it to what happened in real life. Your tone was certainly amazing. I was able to keep up and I knew exactly what was going on.
    I found some sentences structure and even ideas in this anecdote repeating at time, so i wold just suggest to look over that and see if you can condense some parts so that they seem to be repetitive.
    Overall, this piece was definitely enjoyable and powerful. I can’t wait to read more of your things!

Sincerely,
    Faryal Syed

• Dear Faryal,
      Thank you so much for reading my anecdote, it means a lot that you were able to give really helpful feedback. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed reading my piece especially because I have read your writing and have found it so memorizing. So, having this feedback from you is really appreciated. I will try my best to keep it in mind the next time I write a piece. Thank you so much once again!
      Sincerely,
      Maira