Part C: You, The Student

3

Discuss an “Aha” From Creative Writing Class

An “aha” from class was definitely when we wrote about the river with our groups. We were given about fifteen to twenty minutes at the end of class to brainstorm some ideas and I was really surprised by how many ideas I had afterwards. At first, my group was quite hesitant with sharing our ideas to each other but afterwards, they just kept flowing until we came up with something so unique about the river. I looked into the page in my journal where I wrote the things and I suddenly got so many “aha’s” of my own. So I did write many different poems of my own. 

What Have You Accomplished As A Reader? What is Your Plan To Read Next?

I accomplished a lot, I like to think. Before, I only read books that are of my genre. Mitch Albom has always been my favourite author. This year, I branched out and read many different books that are really popular. Two of them being The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I cannot put into words the adventure I had reading these two books. I had goosebumps the whole time, I read each page in under thirty seconds, I cried, I couldn’t put it down. I am honestly so astonished by Khalid Hosseini’s writing. I’ve always heard people talking about his work but never looked into it and I honestly don’t know why. I read many other books that I wouldn’t normally read. Right now I’m reading By The Time You Read This. It is really interesting. These books have really impacted my writing. Now when I read, I focus on the way the author plays with the readers’ minds and I use those styles and techniques in my own writing. I want to read The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. Sadly, every library I go to, it’s always signed out.

What Are Your Next Steps To Improve As A Writer?

I really want to read poetry books. I want to explore numerous poets and writers and their works. I really hope to gain a lot of inspiration through this. I hope it helps me and improves my writing. I will look through collections of works by poets and their different styles. 

Skip to toolbar